In collaboration with the IBHMC and POSI, this award provides a mid-level / senior member of POSI between 40 to 55 years of age an opportunity to visit a centre in Canada or USA for a period of two weeks in an Observer capacity. The visit can be timed around the annual COA / POSNA / IPOS meetings to make it more useful to the visiting scholar.Goals, learning objectives, and curriculum design:
Through this visiting scholar award, it is the endeavour of IBHMC and POSI to encourage, support, and develop educational opportunities for mid-level / senior POSI members. Observer education initiatives and the exchange of knowledge with our colleagues and global community partners enrich research, patient care activities, and community service. Observers are health professionals who have been granted permission to participate in an informal shadowing experience that enables participants to watch procedures and surgeries, and attend clinics, patient rounds, and teaching conferences.Eligibility:
Candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Mid-career to senior levelOrthopaedic surgeon > 40 but < 55 years of age at the time of application for the scholarship
- Life Member of POSI for > 10 years
- Have presented a minimum of 10 papers related to Paediatric Orthopaedics at POSI annual conferences or another international orthopaedic meetings, to demonstrate astrong commitment to pediatric orthopaedic academia
- Have published at least 10 articles pertaining to Paediatric Orthopaedics in peer-reviewed indexed journals
- Will agree to present a summary of the scholarship report in POSI newsletter / Journal
- May need to pass the English language requirements (TOEFL) for the provincial / state registration. This varies from province to province/state to statedepending on the year of the application; please note this criterion is subject to change based on the individual institution requirements.
Successful candidates will be selected by the POSI Foreign Fellowship Committee using strict ranking criteria to prevent any bias in the selection of the fellows.Funding:
- A spend-down endowment (up to 100,000 INR) will be awarded by POSI to each traveling fellow as support towards travel expenses.
- The host institution may provide support for local accommodation, licensing and registration.
- All other expenses will be borne by the visiting fellow.
- POSI obligation: Each visiting scholar should anticipate hosting a member from the North American Institution they visit back to their home institution in India (including provisions of accommodation and registration incidentals). This will encourage a two-way relationship between North American and Indian centres, so that fellows from Canada / USA can also visit India reciprocally for 1-2 weeks.
- Applications will be solicited from POSI Members through email / website by 1st June - Applications will be due by 31st August
- The top three candidates may be interviewed via a GoToMeeting / Skype conference call by the selection committee and ranked in order of merit
- Decisions will be communicated to the successful candidate by 1st October
- The successful candidate will have to confirm acceptance of the fellowship in writing by 15th October, otherwise the scholarship will be withdrawn and awarded to the next candidate on the list
- It will be the responsibility of the selected candidate to liaise with the host centre to set up an itinerary and complete all necessary formalities & permissions. POSI will assist the candidate in the same.
All applicants should send the following documentation electronically to the POSI Secretariat before the due date:
- CV – highlighting details of presentations at POSI annual conferences / international orthopaedic meetings, and publications related to Paediatric Orthopaedics in peer-reviewed journals
- Copy of Orthopaedic degree certificate and Medical Council Registration certificate
- Photo & passport copy
- Personal statement (upto 1000 words) discussing your background & experiences and how this fellowship would benefit you
- Level of commitment to the fellowship (must be 100% confirmed upon acceptance of the fellowship)
- TOEFL/IELTS scores valid for a period of 2 years (if required)
Dr. Alaric Aroojis, Secretary, POSI
Dept. Of Paediatric Orthopaedics,
OPD, Ground Floor,
Bai Jerbai Wadia Hospital for Children,
Acharya Donde Marg,
Parel, Mumbai - 400012,
Email : email@example.com